Everything about apartments where Desis live
  • Page:

TOPIC: Need a lot of info

Need a lot of info 13 years 2 months ago #10552

• akg_d78@yahoo.co.in
  • akg_d78@yahoo.co.in's Avatar Topic Author
Dear All,

I am Ajay Kumar working with IBM India Limited is coming to NC for an assignment of 2 years with my family (spouse + 2 kids) in first week of March 2011. I would like to bother you all by ask some questions:

1). My office is at "100 E. Davies Street, Raleigh, NC 27601". What will be best location in terms of Indian surrounding for apartment around this location.
2).Is there furnished or unfurnished apartment ? if furnished then normally what is the rent ?
3). in case of non-furnished apartments, what is the expense need to expect for household items.
4). As I am coming with my wife and 2 kids (8 years and 7 years); I think that 2BR+2Bath will be enough for me as per law, please clarify ?
5). I bless with 2 daughters(9years and 8 years); there need to admit is class 4 and 3rd there; which school will be the best near to aprtments (for walking distance or bus available).
6). I come to know that there are some school grading system out of 10, so what is the best option and how this grading impect.

I know that, I am asking multiple questions but your positive and prompt reply will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Ajay

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Need a lot of info 13 years 2 months ago #10554

Ajay,

Welcome to the Triangle.Please see my answers to your questions below....

1). My office is at "100 E. Davies Street, Raleigh, NC 27601". What will be best location in terms of Indian surrounding for apartment around this location.

The address you provided is 12 to 15 mins from Cary/Morrisville. Cary/Morrsivlle is best for schools. You may want to look for apartments in Cary/Morrisville and suggested apartments would be Oaks at weston, Waterford on church street,Bexly on davis drive. These apartments have many Indians.

2).Is there furnished or unfurnished apartment ? if furnished then normally what is the rent ?

As far as I know Oaks at Weston has both furnished and unfurnished apartments.Furnished are almost double the expensive when compared to unfurnished apartments. 2 bed/ 2 bath unfurnished cost you around $860.00 - $1,072.00

3). in case of non-furnished apartments, what is the expense need to expect for household items.

This is definitely how you manage your budget.I do not want to give you any estimation,probably some one might help you with this.

4). As I am coming with my wife and 2 kids (8 years and 7 years); I think that 2BR+2Bath will be enough for me as per law, please clarify ?

Yes, As per law you are fine with 2bed/2bath for a family of 4.

5). I bless with 2 daughters(9years and 8 years); there need to admit is class 4 and 3rd there; which school will be the best near to aprtments (for walking distance or bus available).

Here the apartment you live in will be assigned to a school and your kids will go to that particular school. You need not worry about the school bus since the bus stops right in front of the apartment community.

6). I come to know that there are some school grading system out of 10, so what is the best option and how this grading impect.
I know that, I am asking multiple questions but your positive and prompt reply will be highly appreciated.
Regards,
Ajay

Most of the schools where Indians live are good.Davis drive elementary is the best school and if you want a apartment near to this school then cornerstone is the best option.

I hope this helps you to some extent.

Thanks

Re:Need a lot of info 13 years 2 months ago #10555

• akg_d78@yahoo.co.in
  • akg_d78@yahoo.co.in's Avatar Topic Author
Dear Kubi,

Thanks a ton for all these info;

1). I am looking on one url " www.jlcapartments.com/cary/apartments/cornerstone/check-availability.aspx?mode=search&plan=B1&bed=2&bath=2&planId=1052 "; cornerstone apartments rent is coming around $1200 for 2BR. Do you have any other way to check the rental or its the correct one?

2). I would like to mention here that, its first time I come to US for long term; So I am looking some apartment near to Market (indian specially), temple and school.

3). What is local transport availibility in NC;

Thanks.

Re:Need a lot of info 13 years 2 months ago #10556

• Organizzed
Hi Ajay,
In one word the answer is "Google". Google everything you want. Get some idea and you can still ask questions after obtaining some idea about the area and then presenting your inputs too.

Secondly, mostly (if not all) depends on your requirements. Some requirements can be spelled clearly and some are not. Hence, the answers too vary: some largely and some otherwise.

Finally, "Google"!

Having said that, to my knowledge:
For Davis Drive ES, Corner Stone is the only apartments available. Hence, the rents are also higher there.
Here (NC) schools are of (i) traditional and (ii) year round. Please read as much as you can from WCPSS (I am not intentionally giving the official site so that your Googling starts from here!)
School gradings can also be found from Google (greatschools.org). All this information is relative and one needs to decide based one's specific situation.

1 Type your address in Google and search near by for "apartments".

2 Prepare a list of them. Read the reviews for each (most) of them in AT and www.city-data.com/ . Have your own view (if required) via virtual tour (which could be mostly distracting).

3 Call them directly and check the pricing (mostly, the pricing would be same as when you talk to them in person and may not the same as you find them online in other third party sites. If the apartments have their own official sites, the information is mostly accurate.

4 Go to the WCPSS (Wake County Public School System) official site and check for the 'base school' assigned to the address for the selected apartments (do NOT give the leasing office address, you would not get any school for that address. Give any 'orbit' address lying in the same apartments (use google road side view to know the orbit number).

5 Check the reviews of that school (in Google)

6 Check "Triangle Tansit" and "Cary Transit" systems for bus stop facilities nearer to the selected apartments.

7 Check AT directory for the groceries and other amenities nearer to the apartments you have shortlisted. Ameneties may include Temples, Restaurants, Kumon, karate, dance, swimming, YMCA, and others.

Then you might submit questions (doubts) with some data, for example: I found in some reviews that Corner Stone is reported with incidents of snakes in some ground floor apartments. Is this very frequently occurring or can I consider this as sporadic? I find so and so amenities close by to the apartments, by 2 miles and my work is around 5 miles to the apartments. Are these 2 and 5 mi are usual commute there? What is usually considered as long commute for day to day operations? I am sure the fellow readers would also be benefited by reading your questions alone (since they would then contain your educated guesses and inputs).

It is not that you are not doing these things (else, you would not have posted in AT) - just my 2 cents that I too would be benefited in turn.

(may be for good only, life here is "Google" - at least my day starts and ends with)

Welcome to USA ( www.google.com/ )!

Re:Need a lot of info 13 years 2 months ago #10557

• Fave5
Organizzed - Very well said. I am glad you are not spoon feeding but giving the right pointers outo Ajay which would make him more confident when he arrives.

For any new Indian coming to US esp in the Google age, the information is at finger-tips - just need to make the effort.

Anyways, here are few things that you should find out for:

1. Schooling - there's plenty of pointers already in other posts.
2. Basic Amenities - You'll need some kitchenware from India (like pressure cooker etc)
3. Driving - I'm sure IBM has plenty of indians - so first 3-4 weeks you should be able to request them drive you to office and around. Of course, it could be little inconvenience but most of us don't mind taking care of new fellow Indians as we have all gone thru that phase.
4. CraigsList is another good site that you can you buy some used stuff at pretty reasonable prices.
raleigh.craigslist.org/sss/ - some home furniture item you might need on arrival can be brought from here. you can also find used-cars on this site - but that's after you get your SSN, Bank Account, Pass the Written Drivers Test, Behind-the-wheel (on road) test - might take 3-4 weeks.

Think - "What would I need from the time I getup to the time I go to bed and everything in between" for you and your family and start making a list. Ask your family to join-in and prepare a consolidated list.

Good Luck and welcome to the US!

Please feel free to ask any specific questions you might have.

Re:Need a lot of info 13 years 2 months ago #10558

Ajay, others things to help you find with Driving License,doctors,hospitals,groceries and etc. Please check this link New to Triangle

www.apnatriangle.com/New-to-Triangle/11-Moving-to-Raleigh-Read-this-first

Organizzed and Fave5,
Thank you for helping Ajay, our new AT member.Appreciate your guidelines and encouraging others to help.

Regards
Kubi

Re:Need a lot of info 13 years 2 months ago #10559

• Manoj Fan
Hi Ajay,

Ideally, you should book yourself in a hotel that has a shuttle service from the airport but just in case that is not possible then since you are coming in March you can let us know well in advance about your date of landing at RDU along with flight details & contact number (incase). I am sure there will be many of us staying near RDU who would be glad to offer you a ride to your hotel/place of stay. Feel free to list out any other requirements.

Nice Gesture 13 years 2 months ago #10560

• SS
Very nice gesture & suggestion by Manoj Fan :)This is good community spirit of AT members.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds