Information that will be helpful for new comers
  • Page:

TOPIC: North Carolina options ...

North Carolina options ... 14 years 10 months ago #610

• Relo
  • Relo's Avatar Topic Author
Folks,

I came across this site in search of fellow Indian community information in NC. We currently live in MI (family of 4), possibly moving to NC. I have the option of being at RTP area or Charlotte since my work would cover mid-atlantic region.

I would welcome thoughts from the community on following:

1. Better option from a family and education standpoint
2. Cost of living. Calculators show Charlotte area is reasonably cheaper compared to RTP. Is this general for all of RTP or Cary is comparatively costly than other locations in RTP.
3. Real estate market and trends in RTP
4. What are the major suburbs which have diverse population
5. Which are the top school districts

Thanks a ton for your help.

Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:North Carolina options ... 14 years 10 months ago #616

• satish
  • satish's Avatar Topic Author
I moved from Detroit about 4 years ago and I had stayed there in Troy for an year and Farmington Hills for about 2 years. I have not lived in Charlotte, so I may not be able to provide you comparison between RTP and Charlotte area.

1. Cary, Morrisville or Apex areas are very good family and education. Wake county schools are one of the best.
2. Cost of living is very difficult to compare and it is always debatable. House prices are more in Cary than in Apex which is slightly expensive than Fuquay Varina. Houses in Durham area are comparatively cheaper but schools are not that good.
3. My experience in Real estate market in RTP is stable. Prices increases are slow and steady during last decade. During the last 2 years the prices have stalled or down very slightly.
4. Cary (140K total population), Morrisville (15K total population) and Apex has diverse population with considerable Indian population.
5. Wake county schools are very good. Cary, Morrisville and Apex schools are good. Raleigh also has magnet schools concept and they are also very good.

Hope this information helps. Let me know if you have specific questions. Go through the posts in New To Triangle? section for more information.

Re:North Carolina options ... 14 years 10 months ago #626

• A
  • A's Avatar Topic Author
Hey,

I lived only in Cary in the USA, but I have taveled to diffrent parts. Here is what I think:-

1. Both Charlotte and RTP are better than MI. Very rarely it snows here and weather is good.
2. Cost of living is similar in Charlotte and RTP. Cary, North Raleigh and Chapel Hill are more expensive area and hence you cannot make an assessment based on these area. East Raleigh, Garner and Holy Springs are much cheaper. So you cannot really compare cost of living just based on Cary and expensive areas.
3. Number of Indians - Similar population. We have several friends in Charlotte.
4. Charlotte airport is very good and better connected if you travel.
5. Real Estate - Hit harder in Charlotte because of reliance of banking sector. RTP is affected but not as much.
6. Jobs in RTP are mostly in IT, Health Care; Jobs in Charlotte:- Banking, Finance and other sectors
7. Edudation of children:- RTP is better because of UNC, NCSU and Duke influence and a large number of professional people living in this area specially in Cary, North Raleigh.

A

Relo wrote:

Folks,

I came across this site in search of fellow Indian community information in NC. We currently live in MI (family of 4), possibly moving to NC. I have the option of being at RTP area or Charlotte since my work would cover mid-atlantic region.

I would welcome thoughts from the community on following:

1. Better option from a family and education standpoint
2. Cost of living. Calculators show Charlotte area is reasonably cheaper compared to RTP. Is this general for all of RTP or Cary is comparatively costly than other locations in RTP.
3. Real estate market and trends in RTP
4. What are the major suburbs which have diverse population
5. Which are the top school districts

Thanks a ton for your help.

Cheers.

Re:North Carolina options ... 14 years 10 months ago #629

• San123
Nice place to raise children. Good schools

Re:North Carolina options ... 14 years 10 months ago #630

• J
  • J's Avatar Topic Author
Hi,

We moved to Cary 6 months ago from San Jose. We moved because I got a contract here when things started going south. We decided to move the family due to the schooling system. Here is our thoughts on the region:

1. School environment is very good in the Wake school district. However the standard of education is not as high as it was in CA. The school building/environment had much to be desired in CA, but we are definitely seeing that our kids were much ahead in their studies there.

2. Life is much easy going here than in bigger cities. Much more relaxed and more time with family. Of course this could differ based on place of work

3. Very hot

4. I do not know if we can stay here if I were to loose my job. From what I see and hear, very little opportunities. This place probably grew a lot during the dot com times, but very little opportunities now. Big layoffs at IBM and other large companies. Most folks I am getting to meet here travel for work. I know of at least 3 who moved out in the last couple of months due to lack of jobs here. So do your research

5. Quite friendly community. People are nice in general. Much different from CA. However I do find it a little superficial. Possibly more of an adjustment issue on my side. I have heard of not so good things if you go outside of the urban Raleigh area. I do not know about Charlotte

6. Real estate is much cheaper compared to CA. Do not know how it compares to MI. I do however think real estate in Cary/ Morrisville are is way too much for what the place has to offer in terms of employment. I think that prices which have not been affected until now, will come down in the coming months - a trend that is showing in much of the mid west and south. Aagin this is mainly due to the job situation here now

7. Kind of dull and boring place if cominf from a large city. My son thought we had landed in a forest. Lots of trees and greenery and a lot of allergy problems that come with that

Its a very nice place but given the choice, I will probably move back to CA. Do your research well. Many folks I have met here swear by this place and have lived here for 10/15 years. So my point of view might be biased based on the short time I have lived here.

Good luck

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.049 seconds