Please enter any website feedback here. Post what you like and dislike. Any suggestion to improve the website is welcome.

TOPIC: Forums are accessible only to registered users

Re:Forums are accessible only to registered users 14 years 6 months ago #3808

• A
Ashok,

Also I have logistics problem. It is very difficult to login from my handheld device.

A

ashok wrote:

Satish ji,

There must be some exceptions to established members like A,XYZ and B. They really do not need to register themselves because of their long and sincere contributions. On the issue of registeration itself I have nothing more to add. In the end, if some kind of curbs are imposed, it's fine and if not it's still ok with me. I value LFC,R,Roopa,A and many other more than the formalities and really do not wish to expand my circle more than that I can handle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Forums are accessible only to registered users 14 years 6 months ago #3809

I thought all this talking is about posting restrictions only..........But I myself could not read jokes,potluck thread,Quote of the Day thread in guest mode...Why reading rights are also taken away? This will drive all traffic away from AT...During day I make several rounds..I have no time to login and post but reading is always pleasure...now I can not do that any more.

Let us not get threatened with single Idli-Sambar comment which came from out of State...Let changes take place slowly...I suggest first makes all forums readable to all guests.

Re:Forums are accessible only to registered users 14 years 6 months ago #3814

• A
Admin job is hard. Admins need to seperate out themsevles from any particular community, political party etc.etc.

A

ashok wrote:

A,

Yes your guess is correct.

Re:Forums are accessible only to registered users 14 years 6 months ago #3815

Idli sambar's comments made me mad too and I dont belong to the community which was targeted...its not about which community was targeted....Admins did a great job of removing the post...

Re:Forums are accessible only to registered users 14 years 6 months ago #3819

DoesntMatter wrote:

Idli sambar's comments made me mad too and I dont belong to the community which was targeted...its not about which community was targeted....Admins did a great job of removing the post...

DM...agree that comment was bad and it needed quick removal and in future such comments should be checked instantly...Also if this happens regularly we will loose our comfort zone on AT.

I disagree with suddenly imposing changes because this community is still growing..We have to care for each and every visitor and their comments.(of course this don't mean comments like Idli-Sambar)

Re:Forums are accessible only to registered users 14 years 6 months ago #3821

Agreed, reading rights should exist irrespective of status of a user. Satish ji, please take all views into account. It's basically your call as to how you envisioned AT at it's inception and I feel that majority of the readers like A,LFC and R do not favor registeration. Then how do we deal with guys like IdliSambar or Sanju in the past for that matter? Just edit or remove the offending post and move on... if that's the thought process then let it be status quo. I agree with A that internet is a free medium.

Re:Forums are accessible only to registered users 14 years 6 months ago #3822

My last post on this topic since i am not sure if we are going any where with discussion..

First of all we are not talking about the entire internet, we are just talking about a admin moderated website...and people are still free to post on this website...registering on the website doesn't mean that users are not allowed to post any more...

Secondly, I don't insult or disrespect any one and expect the same from others..if ppl continue to just jump in and post crap, i will stop posting in public forums since i prefer respect over the free internet...

regarding, A's post about the handheld device, the login information can be saved in the device when you first login so that u dont have to enter it every time you access the website.

Its admins choice about how they want to deal with it and i will happily agree with any decision...

Re:Forums are accessible only to registered users 14 years 6 months ago #3824

ashok wrote:

Agreed, reading rights should exist irrespective of status of a user. Satish ji, please take all views into account. It's basically your call as to how you envisioned AT at it's inception and I feel that majority of the readers like A,LFC and R do not favor registeration. Then how do we deal with guys like IdliSambar or Sanju in the past for that matter? Just edit or remove the offending post and move on... if that's the thought process then let it be status quo. I agree with A that internet is a free medium.

It is not that I do not favor registration (After one single post in guest mode I had quickly registered myself) but that is not going to help IdliSambar like trouble makers..Sanju was whole another case...but these are normal happenings and moderation and setting rules is the only way..also a good crowd who support site is always a big hand in clearing such problems..like this situation is being discussed by all of us.
    1) Open reading access to all.

2) Based on ip access grant posting rights to proven members.IF more interested then let them prove in some manner to have that privilege.

3) Add more moderating team to ease pressure on Current mods/admins.

4) If some trouble maker start mischief then instantly ban him on ip level so further flare up is controlled.

5) If offending and controversial comments start in any thread and in absence of instant decision making support keep easy provisions to move that thread to Mod only area.

Re:Forums are accessible only to registered users 14 years 6 months ago #3827

It is annoying to login just to go through forums. Forums has to be left open for non members too.
I would prefer to have the freedom to express on forums. But yes, it should not hurt others feelings and no personal attacks.

Re:Forums are accessible only to registered users 14 years 6 months ago #3853

• A
1. My handheld device does not store password and storing password is a bad idea to start with. It could lead to several privacy related issues. I assume none of you store password on your PCs for your emails. If you do, you should stop doing it. If you don't know the reason, let em know, I will post security threat blog somewhere.

2. Admin will know a lot more about people logging in and that is privacy threat to me. Although I trust admin, trust is a fine line here. Admins need to trust readers/people who post material here.

3. People can still post wrong material even if they have user-id. I am not sure how useid blocks anyone from posting wrong material.

One single post about a single community and ....closed the open forum...it does not make sense to me. I am guessing it is someone who knows Satish and party and wants to harm him ....that person is getting success...I must admit.

Re:Forums are accessible only to registered users 14 years 6 months ago #3854

We must work by consensus. I think other than DM and self no one else is in favor of the restrictions. I am sure Satish ji will take an appropriate decision. If so then let us follow the following strategy if there is an offensive post :-

a) Keep Silent. Just ignore the poster and carry on with the discussion.
b) Email Admin privately to edit the post.
c) Wait for Admin to act.

I agree with A that there must be some vested elements in the community who may not like AT to grow in strength and since in times to come the website will influence the new arrivals by it's objective stand on a range of issues and services provided by indian businesses therefore it will be best to torpedo the efforts.

Re:Forums are accessible only to registered users 14 years 6 months ago #3855

• bandaganesh
wht xactly did idlisambar say abt admin's community?

Re:Forums are accessible only to registered users 14 years 6 months ago #3857

Ganesh ji,

It was worth deleting therefore it is not worth a recall. We all are from one community and that is Indian community.

Re:Forums are accessible only to registered users 14 years 6 months ago #3860

• satish
  • satish's Avatar Topic Author
The forums are now accessible to everyone for browsing. Only registered users have access to write.

This applies to all the categories include website feedback. Unfortunately, the software does not allow us to set it for each category. It has to be done for the whole forum.

A,, XYZ, B and others.... 14 years 6 months ago #3862

Dear All,

Its a personal request that please continue with your participation even if it entails the inconvenience of registering your self on the site. If your ID is just one word, so could your password be just 2 words. I am sure after few log-ins you will get into the habit. I am sure you will all be sporting in this regard as you have been on so many occasions.

Re:Forums opened to ALL 14 years 6 months ago #3863

• satish
Ashok ji,

I am not sure what to do now. I am going back to what it was before (open to everyone and monitor the posts). Most of them written their opinion.

Your have an excellent point and that will be my next blog.

Thanks
Satish

Are Gora's different ? 14 years 6 months ago #3864

At the outset, I am sorry in case you do not like the term 'Gora' in the subject line. In fact it is an affectionate expression for foreigners in the northern part of mera bharat. I wonder how would they conduct social interactions on their websites. These guys are protocol conscious and would always adhere to it where-as we are so different in our approach and thinking. Fortunately, I had two consecutive days off and frankly it has been quite entertaining since yesterday. First, Idli Sambar then came his father ( Idli Sambar ka Baap) and then the discussions on forum rules and finally it is the same as it was before Idli Sambar came on the scene. I think it would have been best had Mr Satish made Registration on the site mandatory since the commencement of the site. Mid-stream changes invite resistance to change.

A / XYZ / B - Great AT Members 14 years 6 months ago #3865

ashok wrote:

Dear All,

Its a personal request that please continue with your participation even if it entails the inconvenience of registering your self on the site. If your ID is just one word, so could your password be just 2 words. I am sure after few log-ins you will get into the habit. I am sure you will all be sporting in this regard as you have been on so many occasions.

Ashok, Give them some time..they will be back...A has already expressed and XYZ has to come back..it was he who started calling all Triangle members by starting "Koi Hai" series of threads... He made every one come and start talking...later it continued with "Aaj Ka sawal" and recently he spread "Gana-Fever"..and B always tried to give a meaningful flavor by starting "Quote of the Day"...They will come and talk for sure...just wait. :)

Did you observe that today many members logged in after very long time...as time goes by everyone will get used to it.Let us wait for them to come and share their thoughts.

Re:Forums are accessible only to registered users 14 years 6 months ago #3866

• satish
Ashokji,
I agree that we get more resistence to change now. Thank you very much for the novel ideas and a great support.

Also, I do not belong to the community that 'idli sambar' mentioned. However, I just wanted to keep the civility in the forum messages. Constructive discussions get disrupted due to those kind of messaegs. Everyone understands as Admins we walk a thin line between keeping community going or making everyone angry. I have shared some of my thoughts in the blog 'Privacy or Anonymous' related our (you and me) line of thoughts. All of us are learning as we continue to foster friendship and form a great community.

Thanks
Satish

Time to create page: 0.278 seconds