• Page:

TOPIC: What to buy for Newborn baby

What to buy for Newborn baby 10 years 11 months ago #22469

• n.sweety
  • n.sweety's Avatar Topic Author
Hi Everyone,
I am from Hyderabad.
I am expecting a baby within 2 weeks. I don't know the gender yet. It's a surprise.
I need some suggestions in buying baby stuff like What to buy and Where to buy with in the reasonable price.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: What to buy for Newborn baby 10 years 11 months ago #22471

Welcome and Congratulations!

I'd say Walmart would be your best choice - generally they carry all newborn stuff.

The most important stuff you'll need is newborn/baby car-seat (without which they doctors will not discharge the newborn) and some baby clothes.

You can buy these stuff after knowing the gender but shortlist it early so that your hubby does not have to make last minute choices ;)

Camera/camcorder - in case you'll need to record the birth of your child.

It's been a while for us, am sure "recent" parents can add to this list.

Good Luck.

Re: What to buy for Newborn baby 10 years 11 months ago #22477

• n.sweety
Thank you for your suggestion .
Yes. It will be great if recent parents add their suggestions to this post.

Re: What to buy for Newborn baby 10 years 11 months ago #22478

Hello,

Congratulations for soon to be a parent. I have two kids and my recent one is 4 months. You need not buy a whole lot of stuff but some are really really needed. I will list them as I remember

It is upto you where you want to buy. IF you want to buy new stuff only then Walmart is probably a cheaper way. Also I suggest you to visit ONCE UPON A CHILD. It is a store which carries gently used baby stuff. Things like furniture, bouncers, diaper genes etc can be purchased from here. It is very good and very very reasonably priced. Also there is a place called KID TO KID around cary town center area. Google about these two stores and visit them before your actual shopping. They are good.

Mittens (babies scratch themselves a lot all over their face)
Baby Nail cutter ( I thought the safety first one is food)
Diaper rash creem ( I liked Destin-Rapid releif)
Do not buy a whole lot of baby shampoo and stuff just buy a baby wash (People say Aveno is better)
If you plan on Massaging the baby then buy baby oil... you can even buy that when baby is almost 1 month old. You do not get enough time to message her/him in the first few weeks
Baby towel
Few clothes of newborn and 3 month old(do not buy too many newborn as babies grow fast in first few weeks)
Ofcourse diapers (you need a lot in the begining) - I suggest you buy 1 big box of newborn(from sams) an then see his/her weight growth and buy accordingly
2 baby blankets - you can manage with two as it is summer
bath tub
I prefer to take a bouncer... this will be useful until baby is around 1 1/2 year ...
IF you are bottle feeding there is an Avent Bottles and sterilizer combo. You can get this anywhere but Walmart is cheaper I beleive. here is the link
www.walmart.com/ip/Philips-AVENT-Essentials-Bottle-Gift-Set-with-Sterilizer-BPA-Free/15685887?_mm=

Diaper Gene is another useful item. Babies diapers smell a lot and we can not dispose them immediately so this will help.
Diaper bag
If you plan on breast feeding and you need a pillow. My breast Friend bnursing pillow is really good.
Breast pump was really useful for me. Again it is your own decision which way you want to go.

Make sure to bring 2-3 swadling blankets and shirts from hospital, they will be useful for first two weeks

If you prefer you can leave your email id so that if I remember any more I can let you know.

Hope this helps. Congrats once again and enjoy your mother hood.

Re: What to buy for Newborn baby 10 years 11 months ago #22479

• n.sweety
Wow... Thank you so much for your time and info. I made a list but I don't know about Diaper Gene, thanks for that.
Definitely I will look those stores.

1.At what age we use baby oil for hair and body massage?
2.I am planning to breast feed. Is it better to buy the diaper bag or just our hand bag is enough? I don't have any idea so please suggest me
3.If we use any used furniture do they get any infection or rashes . I mean is it safe to use used ones?
4.What about Johnson's head to Toe wash . Is this good or we need to buy separately?

Hope you will clear my doubts .
Thank you.

Re: What to buy for Newborn baby 10 years 11 months ago #22481

1.At what age we use baby oil for hair and body massage? -
Baby oil can be applied as soon as 3-4 weeks. Doctos suggest to give a gentle message to baby as early as two weeks. Again my baby was allergic to oil and I was told not to apply oil either to body or head ... hence I was not using.

2.I am planning to breast feed. Is it better to buy the diaper bag or just our hand bag is enough? I don't have any idea so please suggest me.
I would suggest a diaper bag .. may be you can go for an inexpensive one. This will be your friend for next 1- 1 1/2 year .... if you prefer handbag go for a bigger one. But, diaper bags are designed for bottles and with lots of pockets.

3.If we use any used furniture do they get any infection or rashes . I mean is it safe to use used ones? - I dont think any furniture will effect babies ... I did use some used furniture and never had any problen. If you have concerns dont buy anything with cloth material ..

4.What about Johnson's head to Toe wash . Is this good or we need to buy separately? Johnson's is a good one but someone told me that some babies might be allergic to it. try taking a small one .. so that you are wasting money if baby is allergic to it.

Re: What to buy for Newborn baby 10 years 11 months ago #22484

• n.sweety
Thank you so much for your information. It's very helpful.

If anyone would like to add their suggestions, please go ahead. Because I have one and half week in my hand.

What to buy for Newborn baby 10 years 2 weeks ago #24885

There are lots of thing you need to invest in . Like a cradle, fold-able sleeping bed, clothes toys etc. You can buy small sets of chairs and tables walker also as child will fit in it and do not fall and you can be free of tension to keep attention to them all the time.Get some useful reference from elders also at your home.

What to buy for Newborn baby 10 years 2 weeks ago #24898

Register with Amazon MOM, you will get lot of must need items for a better price than any local stores including SAMS and COSTCO.

Re: What to buy for Newborn baby 10 years 1 week ago #24912

Use Olive oil or Coconut oil. Do not use Baby oil as it contains petroleum products.
Also Johnson and Johnson head to toes is allergic. I used it for my kid and she had eczema on her hands. We changed to Aveeno and the dryness went away. So my preference is Aveeno.

What to buy for Newborn baby 8 years 8 months ago #27287

Hey you can buy furniture for your baby at great discounts from The Yellow Door. They have free shipping for their delivery.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds