• Page:

TOPIC: Advise for relocation from bay area to RTP

Advise for relocation from bay area to RTP 8 years 11 months ago #26826

• ritugupta
  • ritugupta's Avatar Topic Author
Hi All,
We are living in bay area and have 2 kids (7 and 9yrs) and we are contemplating relocating to North Carolina. It would be great if any of you could share your personal experience/opinion on this.It will really help us in concluding.

Our main reasons of relocation:
1) Sky rocket real estate prices and high rentals.
2) Not very good schools as they are short of funds. They are cutting down on extra curricular activities.
3) Quality of life is suffering.

We are currently residing in Cupertino School District area.Rentals are unbelievably soaring. School quality is not great. You have pay extra to top it up with additional academics programs and extra curricular activities. No magnet programs.

Benefits of NC (RTP area) IMO: (please comment if my assumptions are right or not)
1) Hubby is in Cisco, so possibility of internal job relocation is high. And I am hoping to find a new job there.
2) Planning to buy House which will be our reach (I assume 3-4 BR house in Wake County School District will be around 400K)
3) Indian Community
4) Improvement in Quality of life
5) Better schools than bay area. I am assuming common core curriculum is followed well in good schools area coupled with all rounded development and extra curricular/Magnet programs.

How is the job market there. We both are engineers in System Software field and are hoping jobs are ample there. Bay area has this big advantage of good job market and Indian community.

It would be really helpful if you could provide insight in to this and guide us. Let me know which area you finally chose and which schools are your kids going to.

Looking forward for your response.

Cheers,
Ritu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advise for relocation from bay area to RTP 8 years 11 months ago #26828

All of your assumptions are very true. I personally suggest move faster from there so that you can settle here sooner. Also, West Cary and North West Apex( around Hwy 64 towards Jordon lake) is now most happening area in the Triangle especially for Indians. Costco is coming to Apex on Hwy 64 and it is going to very convenient to West Cary and North West Apex folks. Wake County is building new Green Level High School with 80M+ and it is going to be icon for this area based on what they are planning inside the school in terms of facilities and programs. Elementary and Middle schools are 10/10s here. So Hwy 64 corridor in North West Apex is going to be most happening place due to Costco, easy connection to 55 and to RTP. Plus Hwy 540 proximity and to Jordon Lake is a huge plus. If you see Triangle area vision, easy access to 540 is the real key as it is going to have complete circle eventually which can take you to anywhere in triangle with in few minutes.

Advise for relocation from bay area to RTP 8 years 11 months ago #26829

I have one of my team member moved from SJ to RTP for same reason - High rent + bad schools. He has no complaint after moving here. Job market here is not bad for right candidate.

Advise for relocation from bay area to RTP 8 years 11 months ago #26830

I fully echo.

Advise for relocation from bay area to RTP 8 years 11 months ago #26833

• ritugupta
Thank to all. I am already so encouraged to move to NC :-) Appreciate it!
I have few more questions:
1)How big is Indian community out there? Will it be easy to make friends. Here, it is big Indian community and kind of home away from home(India).
2)I have heard that companies out there usually prefer GC holders and Citizens. How are employment opportunities for H1 holders?

Thnx,
Ritu

Advise for relocation from bay area to RTP 8 years 11 months ago #26836

Indian Community over here is very big. It will be easey to make friends.

You you heard it right. Employment opportunity for H1B candaidate is limited but it is there for right candidate.

Advise for relocation from bay area to RTP 8 years 11 months ago #26837

Being an ex-bay-area resident, I'll chime in my thoughts:

1. for 400-500K, you can buy a dream house here compared to Bay Area.
2. Schools in Cary, Morrisville are top notch + free county school bus (to/fro).
3. Reasonable size Indian community - I'd say less 1/2 the size of Bay area though.
4. Convenient Places of worships, Indian grocery stores & restaurants.
5. The quality/taste and the number of Indian restaurants might be little pale when compared to Bay Area
6. Moderate weather - snows about a week (on average), summer may get a little warmer/humid.
7. Kids have plenty of activities - tennis, soccer, swimming (very popular) to name few.
8. Outdoor walking trails with plenty of greenery.
9. Overall very good quality of life.
10. Within a 2-3 hours drive, there are good beaches, water-rafting, skiing resorts, camp-sites

I've never missed Bay Area (after the initial 2-3 months) for a single day since I moved here 6 years back.

ritugupta wrote: Thank to all. I am already so encouraged to move to NC :-) Appreciate it!
I have few more questions:
1)How big is Indian community out there? Will it be easy to make friends. Here, it is big Indian community and kind of home away from home(India).
2)I have heard that companies out there usually prefer GC holders and Citizens. How are employment opportunities for H1 holders?

Thnx,
Ritu

Advise for relocation from bay area to RTP 8 years 11 months ago #26871

Hi,

We also planning to move Cary in July-2015. Please let us know good apartments with Indian community .

Thanks
Sai

Advise for relocation from bay area to RTP 8 years 11 months ago #26889

• ritugupta
Hello All,
Following up on this thread again, I have a good news to share. I have got a job offer in Raleigh which is in final stage and I am planning to accept it. It would be great if the forum could give me inputs on cost effective relocation from bay area as this employer is not willing to provide any assistance. Also, which areas should I target first for searching for renting a place. My requirements are good elementary and middle schools and Indian community based neighborhood.We would be looking for 3Bed 2Bath place.
I am so excited about the idea of move.
Looking forward for your responses.

Thanks,
Ritu

Advise for relocation from bay area to RTP 8 years 11 months ago #26890

1. Cary/Morrisville will be your best bet for housing - go with an apartment or a pvt townhome rental for 6 months to a year before deciding to buy your own. It'll give you enough time to a feel for the town.

2. The "relocation" is your chance to get rid of your old stuff (if there's no emotional attachment) :) Anyways, go with any national/reputed coast-to-coast carrier. The difference would not be more than $300-400 from a discount one. I'll dig into my archive if I find the contacts of the carriers I had used (both for auto and the rest of the stuff).

Advise for relocation from bay area to RTP 7 years 1 month ago #29619

Between Cary, Morrisville and Apex - which cities are good for School systems, home prices and Public transport options?

Advise for relocation from bay area to RTP 7 years 1 month ago #29620

easwar wrote: All of your assumptions are very true. I personally suggest move faster from there so that you can settle here sooner. Also, West Cary and North West Apex( around Hwy 64 towards Jordon lake) is now most happening area in the Triangle especially for Indians. Costco is coming to Apex on Hwy 64 and it is going to very convenient to West Cary and North West Apex folks. Wake County is building new Green Level High School with 80M+ and it is going to be icon for this area based on what they are planning inside the school in terms of facilities and programs. Elementary and Middle schools are 10/10s here. So Hwy 64 corridor in North West Apex is going to be most happening place due to Costco, easy connection to 55 and to RTP. Plus Hwy 540 proximity and to Jordon Lake is a huge plus. If you see Triangle area vision, easy access to 540 is the real key as it is going to have complete circle eventually which can take you to anywhere in triangle with in few minutes.

I know your comments were written 1 year back. Any updates to the developments of the 64/540 North West Apex corridor? What kind of public transportation options are available/planned in this area?

Advise for relocation from bay area to RTP 7 years 1 month ago #29675

Hi DP, let me give an update on some of the developments that Easwar had mentioned a year ago. COSTCO opened almost a year ago. Lots of new subdivisions have opened in the Apex/Cary 55/64/540 corridor close to Green Level Rd, US64 & Olive Chapel Rd in Apex. Some of them are Crestmont, Greenmoor, Regency, The Pines, The Enclave, Preserve@White Oaks, Lake Castleberry, Arcadia West, Riley's Pond and Stillwater. McKenzie Ridge & Sweet Water are opening soon!
Please contact me for details and help with securing a home with Full Service and terrific Buyer Rebates! My contact number is on my Ad banner on the top.

Advise for relocation from bay area to RTP 7 years 1 month ago #29681

dp77 wrote: I know your comments were written 1 year back. Any updates to the developments of the 64/540 North West Apex corridor? What kind of public transportation options are available/planned in this area?

Public transportation is next to nothing. Google for Go Cary Transit for details.

www.townofcary.org/home/showdocument?id=10118

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds