• Page:

TOPIC: Consumer protection forums in NC-real estate

Consumer protection forums in NC-real estate 9 years 10 months ago #25291

• bluekoolkruiser
  • bluekoolkruiser's Avatar Topic Author
Greetings
It appears to be a rampant phenomenon that many home buyers are encountering the wrong end of the stick, as regards builders in the triangle taking advantage of a seeming "sellers market". Now that the demand appearing to be easing a bit, some of them are still in the same utopian belief.

A bunch of us who have bought into a new community, developed by a big name builder, are undergoing an ordeal. Ambigous commitments in terms of closing dates, deferred commitments, questionable build quality, design glitches, non-existent post sale customer service, to name a few. We hear that such is the case with a few other builders too in the region.

Representation to their senior management hasnt been productive either. Realtors are non-commital. Town of Cary permits division have taken a stand that if it pertains to code, they can provide clarification but if it is punch list items, they cannot get involved.

What consumer protection forums do exist in NC, where this can be taken up with. Any pointers / suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Consumer protection forums in NC-real estate 9 years 10 months ago #25292

I always wondered about not having a single discussion topic on forum discussing issues related to home buying which generally start within six months or even just after closing the home. For town home owners Home owners associations are tough to deal with. Thanks for starting this topic..From our experience all the problems are caused by builders.

I hope other members share more resources. Check this link www.nclbgc.org/

Consumer protection forums in NC-real estate 9 years 10 months ago #25293

• bluekoolkruiser
:) Thank you for chiming in. I did speak to a lady at www.nclbgc.org/ but she was of the opinion that they cant intervene into punchlist items. We are planning to approach the mayor's office to intervene and curb a burgeoning problem that is spreading its tentacles widely. Yet it is so surprising that not much is being heard in forums like this.

Consumer protection forums in NC-real estate 9 years 10 months ago #25298

If you would reveal the name of the communities/builders, it would be helpful for future home buyers. Most of the Indians around buy their homes, after they go through apnatriangle with their questions. So, any input you can provide will be helpful for others.

Consumer protection forums in NC-real estate 9 years 10 months ago #25299

Have heard first-hand stories of issues in Lennar/FryersGate sub-division. (in one case, their commode provided/installed by the builder even in the master BR is of kid size)

Am surprised none of the regular realtors on this forum are providing any inputs/advice while they are the first to jump on any home-buying queries :)

That's the big difference I have found personally in the local realtor (full-service v/s discount brokers) I had the pleasure to work with, she not only helped us at every stage of buying (even when communicating remotely/out-of-state) but even post-sale - she was just a phone call away for any queries/issues we had.

Consumer protection forums in NC-real estate 9 years 10 months ago #25303

I get calls/emails on different areas of home ownership & issues from my old buyers and I try to answer them and help them. My buyer agency relationship with my buyers does not end with closing of the home at the attorney's office. I am a full service 'local Realtor' with Rebate/Realtor Credit (that you call Discount Broker) who helps my buyers from home search- to purchase-to closing- to ownership- to home sale. Therefore, the generalization that 'discount' realtors don't provide service is not a correct one. All 'discount' brokers are not the same.

If you have issues with a particular builder, the best thing to do is to approach your Buyer agent and discuss the issue and seek his/her help in escalating the issue and getting it resolved internally or externally. Of course, if you went with a part-time Realtor who has other full time job to do, just because he/she was giving $10 extra in Rebates, you may not get much help.

By the way, none of the track builders in the area have 'kiddie commodes'. They are either the small standard 'round' ones or the larger 'elongated' ones. Your friend may be talking about the standard round ones.

Consumer protection forums in NC-real estate 9 years 10 months ago #25306

• bluekoolkruiser
For the record, I did engage a "full time Buyer agent". We have also compared notes with experiences of friends who have used other agents and have to agree with the earlier poster's comments. Please do reach out to clients who bought through you, in this community and you will know the nature of issues and if you are able to push that up with the builder's senior management, fabulous. We have already discussed with ours and received a reply that his clients who bought homes from different builders operating this region have similar experiences.

You realtors are in vantage point, with the ability to keep a check on builders introducing questionable business practices like bidding and lottery. New homes are being sold without even an artists impression / model picture of the color combination of the choices a buyer makes and that amounts to ambigius specifications. When a model home from another subdivision promoted by the same builder is referenced during pre-sale and then many specifications are changed during the original construction. What do you term that ?

BTW, how would that small round commode be termed "standard". Is that how a builder penny pinches ?

If you folks claim to work solely for the interest of the buyer, please do share some suggestions around arbitration agencies / consumer protection forums in the region.

One has to admit, that it has been an issue which folks seem to be bearing with a grin but left unchecked is going to be detrimental.

Consumer protection forums in NC-real estate 9 years 10 months ago #25307

Hello Joe,

Appreciate your response. I personally never generalize any topic including this one. It was my *personal experience* that a full-service broker was better than a Rebate/Relator Credit. I never claimed that all discount brokers are bad (or good for that matter) :)

My philosophy: when spending 100's of thousands on buying a home, why compromise on the service for a few thousands.

Glad I was able to solicit a response :)

Anyways, semantics aside, I would have expected such elite, senior realtors like yourself to be more involved/proactive in the home-buying issues faced by community rather than on individual/client basis. Voices of senior relators get effective ears from the builders.

Cheers!

joe wrote: I get calls/emails on different areas of home ownership & issues from my old buyers and I try to answer them and help them. My buyer agency relationship with my buyers does not end with closing of the home at the attorney's office. I am a full service 'local Realtor' with Rebate/Realtor Credit (that you call Discount Broker) who helps my buyers from home search- to purchase-to closing- to ownership- to home sale. Therefore, the generalization that 'discount' realtors don't provide service is not a correct one. All 'discount' brokers are not the same.

If you have issues with a particular builder, the best thing to do is to approach your Buyer agent and discuss the issue and seek his/her help in escalating the issue and getting it resolved internally or externally. Of course, if you went with a part-time Realtor who has other full time job to do, just because he/she was giving $10 extra in Rebates, you may not get much help.

By the way, none of the track builders in the area have 'kiddie commodes'. They are either the small standard 'round' ones or the larger 'elongated' ones. Your friend may be talking about the standard round ones.

Consumer protection forums in NC-real estate 9 years 10 months ago #25308

Hi Sanjus, I understand your concern that we should be more involved/proactive about these new issues you mentioned. But how would I have known these unless my buyers told me? I normally visit Apna Triangle often, but haven't done so lately and just happened to see the discussion yesterday. If /when my buyers bring anything up, I work on it and do follow ups.

Another concern that I personally have as a Rebate-giving full service Realtor is that some buyers get all the information/education I can give them and then 'shop around' and go to a part time agent whose 'Service' is the 'Rebate' itself, may be a few dollars more than me. They don't 'value' the time, effort & experience I am investing in my buyers and the help I can provide at each stage and doing detailed walk through's with the builder, suggesting mortgage options, solving issues with the builder etc. I get calls from such buyers who have done so and are in trouble during and after the construction process. How am I going to help them?

Anyway, that is life! But for now, I will be happy to get a comprehensive list of major issues (by builder/neighborhood) so I can take them up to wherever I can reach and seek resolution. Please email me a list.

Consumer protection forums in NC-real estate 9 years 10 months ago #25311

Joe, you're a good man. Completely echo your sentiments. I get those type of clients in my field of service as well. That's life - as you rightly said. In the long run, they're the ones who are at the receiving end.

Thanks for offer, I'm sure the concerned patrons will be in touch with you directly. I was just a messenger or rather a well-wisher.

Consumer protection forums in NC-real estate 9 years 10 months ago #25312

If it really is a rampant and severe problem, I would think there would be enough disaffected people to hire an attorney. The fact that you hesitate to even identify the builder you are dissatisfied with speaks to why the builder could care less. I believe you can post the builder name without a whole bunch of libel inducing comments. You and your fellow affected homeowners can take to social media, small claims courts, etc.

I used a rebate broker and was dissatisfied with his service but, given that it is a sellers market, I do not know if the outcome would have been much different if a full service broker was used. If you calculate the hours the broker puts in and square it off with his commission, it lands in a rather enviable spot.

But going back to your main point, not much will happen unless you take legal action or name names and take to social media. I hope things work out for you.

Consumer protection forums in NC-real estate 9 years 10 months ago #25314

• bluekoolkruiser
Thanks for your suggestions.

"If it really is a rampant and severe problem, I would think there would be enough disaffected people to hire an attorney." - The idea behind this post is also to get the attention of such folks who have a need to.

"You and your fellow affected homeowners can take to social media, small claims courts, etc." - Yes we are starting on these channels, BBB etc

"The fact that you hesitate to even identify the builder you are dissatisfied with speaks to why the builder could care less." - If you read the threads again, I have clearly mentioned the builder in my second response.

Consumer protection forums in NC-real estate 9 years 10 months ago #25315

• bluekoolkruiser
Thanks Joe.

I have emailed you the list and some context to the email id listed on your agency's website. You can reach out to me if there is something needing additional clarification. Very kind of you indeed.

Consumer protection forums in NC-real estate 9 years 10 months ago #25318

bluekoolkruiser wrote: If you read the threads again, I have clearly mentioned the builder in my second response.

Didn't see it in your responses, including in your second response pasted below.

bluekoolkruiser wrote: :) Thank you for chiming in. I did speak to a lady at www.nclbgc.org/ but she was of the opinion that they cant intervene into punchlist items. We are planning to approach the mayor's office to intervene and curb a burgeoning problem that is spreading its tentacles widely. Yet it is so surprising that not much is being heard in forums like this.

Humor me and state the builder's name again.

Consumer protection forums in NC-real estate 9 years 10 months ago #25327

It would be really helpful if you can name the builder. I went through all your responses but don't see the builder name. It will be helpful for all future home buyers.

Consumer protection forums in NC-real estate 9 years 10 months ago #25336

Since Lennar /Fryars gate mentioned here, I will share my personal experience with their sales team:
We were considering Fryars gate to move to Cary last summer. It was pain in the neck to get any information from them, hardly responded any calls or emails. The worst one was, when I sent an email to corporate from their website and never got an answer back till date.
Gave them a benefit of doubt (may be too busy) and visited one Sunday. They were busy assisting others, so we waited. Once finished she came to us and started answering few questions. She started helping two walk-ins (no appointments) between our conversations. She did not return to use and other guy came after 30mins and none of them were being much helpful. At that point, we felt neglected and decided that we will not buy a house there, even if this is the last place left. Now I’m glad that we made a right call. We are still looking for a house to move in Cary.
IMO, I think, they know that desis will buy here regardless of the service we give them. I checked recently on wake county website, majority of the home buyers are desis

To OP,
Did you get a third part inspector to check the house before closing? I would highly recommend it. When one put so much money for a house, sure can spend ~$500 for inspection.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds