• Page:

TOPIC: Manathankkali Keerai

Manathankkali Keerai 12 years 5 months ago #14852

• guest's Avatar Topic Author
Does anyone know where to find a variety of spinach - Manathankkali Keerai (in Tamil), it is also known as "Sun Berry" and "Wonder Cherry", in Hindi it is called "Makoy", in Telugu it is called "Kamanchi Chettu"?

I am supposed to eat this for medicinal purpose. Please write if anybody has any information. Thanks a lot!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Manathankkali Keerai 12 years 5 months ago #14856

• Anonymous
  • Anonymous's Avatar Topic Author
Never seen it in USA. Call Triangle Indian market.

Re: Manathankkali Keerai 12 years 5 months ago #14861

• medicine
  • medicine's Avatar Topic Author

guest wrote: Does anyone know where to find a variety of spinach - Manathankkali Keerai (in Tamil), it is also known as "Sun Berry" and "Wonder Cherry", in Hindi it is called "Makoy", in Telugu it is called "Kamanchi Chettu"?

I am supposed to eat this for medicinal purpose. Please write if anybody has any information. Thanks a lot!

Have you seen it?Can you identify from picture?

Re: Manathankkali Keerai 12 years 5 months ago #14863

Can identify from the picture but it will be more helpful if you can tell me from where I can get those.... Thank you

Re: Manathankkali Keerai 12 years 5 months ago #14865

Thank you will call them tomorrow.

Re: Manathankkali Keerai 12 years 5 months ago #14871

guest wrote: Does anyone know where to find a variety of spinach - Manathankkali Keerai (in Tamil), it is also known as "Sun Berry" and "Wonder Cherry", in Hindi it is called "Makoy", in Telugu it is called "Kamanchi Chettu"?

Guest Thanks for letting us know about this new green subzi. Looks like this is easily growing in USA and should be easily available in summer.

In India, the berries are casually grown and eaten; but not cultivated for commercial use. The berries are referred to as "fragrant tomato." Although not very popular across much of its growing region, the fruit and dish are common in Northern Tamil Nadu, Southern Andhra and Southern Karnataka. In North India, the boiled extracts of leaves and berries are also used to alleviate the patient's discomfort in liver-related ailments, including jaundice.

Link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum_nigrum

Re: Manathankkali Keerai 12 years 5 months ago #14879

Thank you for the information. I thought that some people might be growing this plant in their garden so that I can borrow few leaves for medicinal value. I checked with Triangle Indian Market, they said they haven't sold this for a very long time. Still searching for this.....

Re: Manathankkali Keerai 12 years 4 months ago #15023

• rajkumar
  • rajkumar's Avatar Topic Author
Are you still looking out for manathakkali kirai?

Re: Manathankkali Keerai 12 years 4 months ago #15024

Did you try Vedic Gardens? It is next to CVS Pharmacy on Davis Dr and Morrisville Carpenter intersection.

Re: Manathankkali Keerai 11 years 9 months ago #18650

• Anonymous
  • Anonymous's Avatar Topic Author
Has any one seen this Manathankkali keerai around Triangle?

Re: Manathankkali Keerai 11 years 9 months ago #18655

Check in Vedic Gardens . They might have plant.

Re: Manathankkali Keerai 11 years 8 months ago #19097

• SS
  • SS's Avatar Topic Author
Are u still looking for the Manathakkali keerai? let me know if u get it anywhere. if u are ok with the manathakkali vathal, it is available in a couple of Indian stores. I guess it must have the same medicinal effect as of the keerai. Kadhambam & Sangam have them. Hope it helped

Re: Manathankkali Keerai 11 years 8 months ago #19497

guest wrote: Thank you for the information. I thought that some people might be growing this plant in their garden so that I can borrow few leaves for medicinal value. I checked with Triangle Indian Market, they said they haven't sold this for a very long time. Still searching for this.....

Last saturday I saw this vegetable in Triangle indian market...check the attached picture..I think this is the same vegetable you are looking for. Let us know how to cook. Tomorrow you can call them to see if they have it.

Attachments:

Re: Manathankkali Keerai 11 years 7 months ago #19710

Today I saw this plant in Vedic garden. It was single beautifully grown plant, almost 3 ft tall with clusters of berries. I was in hurry so could not ask for details.

Manathankkali Keerai 9 years 8 months ago #25476

After almost two years I cooked this vegetable..now it is available in Triangle Indian Market almost every week.

It is very huge bunch...pick tender leaves and top stems, rest of the stems you can extract juice. I partly preboiled chopped leaves, pureed it and then added to sauteed vegetable. It was simple onion, garlic, green chili and jeera saute. It was delicious.

Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds