TOPIC: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home

Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home 12 years 7 months ago #13515

Hi Members,
I am planning for a 20 people birthday party at home for my kid. Any suggestions for home style food catering? I know all the restaurants in the triangle area but they are unreliable for a party food.Last time I ordered from Paradise and it was tasteless.

Has anybody tried : momsdesikitchen.com/ ?
Any suggestions would be really helpful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home 12 years 7 months ago #13516

• saffron

bvin2k wrote: Hi Members,
I am planning for a 20 people birthday party at home for my kid. Any suggestions for home style food catering? I know all the restaurants in the triangle area but they are unreliable for a party food.Last time I ordered from Paradise and it was tasteless.

Try Saffron.. I tried it on my b'day party and everyone loved the food... its lil expensive though..

Re: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home 12 years 7 months ago #13517

• yummy

bvin2k wrote: Hi Members,

You can roughly give your menu here so that home cooks can contact you. There are several ads on AT but each of them specializes in different region of India. Are you looking south Indian or North Indian or fusion of both.? Do you need any nonveg dish?

Re: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home 12 years 7 months ago #13518

• pulp
i can qa the food for u. nominal fee applies.

Re: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home 12 years 7 months ago #13519

• Aahha

pulp wrote: i can qa the food for u. nominal fee applies.

More details please.

Re: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home 12 years 7 months ago #13520

I am looking for 2 north indian vegetable curry small trays. 1 could be some panneer dish like panneer makhani and other could be something like malai kofta.
I am not sure if I would go with any cook as I would want to taste the food before ordering. Unlike restaurants where I know the taste.

Re: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home 12 years 7 months ago #13522

• yummy

bvin2k wrote: I am looking for 2 north indian vegetable curry small trays. 1 could be some panneer dish like panneer makhani and other could be something like malai kofta.
I am not sure if I would go with any cook as I would want to taste the food before ordering. Unlike restaurants where I know the taste.

Paneer makhani and malai kofta have similar gravy and both have panner. How about adding one tray with real veggies?

** I am not cook. Trying to add my 2cents.:cheer:

Re: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home 12 years 7 months ago #13523

• hmmm

bvin2k wrote: I am looking for 2 north indian vegetable curry small trays. 1 could be some panneer dish like panneer makhani and other could be something like malai kofta.

What would be your budget? Based on that I guess people can recommend places.

Re: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home 12 years 7 months ago #13525

• Anonymous

saffron wrote:
Try Saffron.. I tried it on my b'day party and everyone loved the food... its lil expensive though..

I have eaten at their buffet and never liked their food.

Re: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home 12 years 7 months ago #13526

• saffron

Anonymous wrote:

saffron wrote:

Really? I just love their buffet. Try going there on weekends where they usually have more varieties as compared to weekdays. Again, they are lil more expensive as compared to others (on weekends) but its worth going. Try it this time and let me know if you like it or not.

Re: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home 12 years 7 months ago #13528

• cary
Oh dont try this place,momsdesikitchen.com. I ordered mutter paneer once it was not at all good. we can cook better food ourself..all it had was tomato puree and uncooked peas with 3-4 pieces i guess of paneer. No offense, just helpin...

Re: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home 12 years 7 months ago #13529

OP: After reading all the responses so far, you might be little disheartened for not getting any quality leads. It happens. Taste is always relative.

Here's a spin/thought that has worked in my case and have seen many of my friends do as well:

For kids under 3-5years: keep the b'day party really small and pvt affair. Make them feel special by taking them to place of worship, getting their favorite toys (toys are so inexpensive at that age), have a real surprise decor with b'day theme, balloons in his/her room. Make special dishes of his/her choice. Just call couple of his/her best friends. Have a great family time together.

For kids between 5-10years: They have so much energy at this age and Cary has such beutiful parks. Combine the two and plan a party outdoor. Arrange games. Get a Pinata to add to the fun. Cater non-Indian food from outside like Subway s/w platter or pizza, cookies, veggies, juices, chips, water & sodas!

For kids between 10-13years: Just call their friends over for a slumber party - boys will have fun playing video-games and girls will have fun chatting, giggling, nail-painting etc etc etc :)

Bottom line is, make him/her feel special on their b'day. Don't spend time too much time cooking or feeding the guests and doing dishes and cleaning-up.

Re: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home 12 years 7 months ago #13530

• vmom
For our son's 2nd birthday, we ordered sandwiches from Subway-they gave us veggie patties separately with packets of different sauces and we got a fruit platter from Harris teeter. The kids had pizza.
I agree with Sanjus-less mess and more fun is what you need.

Re: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home 12 years 7 months ago #13531

• Anonymous

saffron wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

saffron wrote:

Really? I just love their buffet. Try going there on weekends where they usually have more varieties as compared to weekdays. Again, they are lil more expensive as compared to others (on weekends) but its worth going. Try it this time and let me know if you like it or not.

I have never been there on a weekend and it seems that you agree that weekday food quality is worse than the weekend food. I know, it's more of a personal choice. I was there recently (I suppose it was last Friday) and the guy served something stupid in the name of carrot halwa.

Re: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home 12 years 7 months ago #13532

• Anonymous

cary wrote: we can cook better food ourself..

LOL .... I guess just about every desi says this when they order food from outside. But then, they still order because it's convenient.

Re: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home 12 years 7 months ago #13533

• Anonymous

vmom wrote: For our son's 2nd birthday, we ordered sandwiches from Subway-they gave us veggie patties separately with packets of different sauces and we got a fruit platter from Harris teeter. The kids had pizza.
I agree with Sanjus-less mess and more fun is what you need.

For my child's birthday, I usually do a pot luck. I provide the place and paper goods and ask the guests to bring food. I specifically tell them not to bring any gifts for the child, but do they listen? No!

Re: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home 12 years 7 months ago #13534

• saffrondiner
Quite a few frustrated diners from saffron? Four years back I had visited during diwali time.
I was very disappointed with Hyderabadi biryani. Extremenly spicy,no trace of quality vegetables,less quantity and all he got was broccoli to add in authentic Hyderabadi biryani.cauliflower was better choice but Broccoli?? :laugh:

surprisingly Saffron is still best restaurant in Triangle.

Re: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home 12 years 7 months ago #13535

• saffron

Anonymous wrote:

saffron wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

saffron wrote:

I have never been there on a weekend and it seems that you agree that weekday food quality is worse than the weekend food. I know, it's more of a personal choice. I was there recently (I suppose it was last Friday) and the guy served something stupid in the name of carrot halwa.

I din't say its bad on weekdays.. Its just that weekends have more variety.. I had been there this Friday and as you rightly said they served something else in name of carrot halwa... It was Mango moose.. I don't eat carrot halwa, so I just enjoyed the moose... lol

Re: Suggestion for catering for a birthday party @home 12 years 7 months ago #13536

• Anonymous
I m happy to see honest opinion about Indian restaurants. Every kid and family is different. You cannot generalize based on age. Search Google.

sanjus wrote: OP: After reading all the responses so far, you might be little disheartened for not getting any quality leads. It happens. Taste is always relative.

Here's a spin/thought that has worked in my case and have seen many of my friends do as well:

For kids under 3-5years: keep the b'day party really small and pvt affair. Make them feel special by taking them to place of worship, getting their favorite toys (toys are so inexpensive at that age), have a real surprise decor with b'day theme, balloons in his/her room. Make special dishes of his/her choice. Just call couple of his/her best friends. Have a great family time together.

For kids between 5-10years: They have so much energy at this age and Cary has such beutiful parks. Combine the two and plan a party outdoor. Arrange games. Get a Pinata to add to the fun. Cater non-Indian food from outside like Subway s/w platter or pizza, cookies, veggies, juices, chips, water & sodas!

For kids between 10-13years: Just call their friends over for a slumber party - boys will have fun playing video-games and girls will have fun chatting, giggling, nail-painting etc etc etc :)

Bottom line is, make him/her feel special on their b'day. Don't spend time too much time cooking or feeding the guests and doing dishes and cleaning-up.

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds